The following are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
my employer.

I won't argue whether a user should SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be able to see user
profiles to which they are explicitly authorized. I actually agree with you
that the legacy design of the system that causes user profiles to have
exlicit READ authority to other members of the group should be looked at by
IBM. I've never denied this behavior exists. It is also not what makes this
particular posting inaccurate.

What's inaccurate is:

   - Somehow LDAP is the cause of the problem. This is clearly
   inaccurate. Your post clearly only discusses LDAP and implies that somehow
   LDAP is the problem. If you are concerned about an authorized user of the
   system being able to see data (user profiles in this case) to which they are
   explicitly authorized, then LDAP clearly is not the problem.

   - You state "the LDAP search ability is not dependent on any
   restrictions or special permissions the user may have." This is clearly
   inaccurate. An LDAP search operation on the LDAP projected user profile
   portion of the LDAP tree will not return any user profiles to which the user
   profile under which the search is done is not explicitly authorized. Your
   posting, whether intended or not, strongly implies that one only need
   authenticate via LDAP to see any user profile on the system. Implying
   therefore a much larger issue than one you have "uncovered."

    - You state "Once the user names are known, LDAP can be used to
   conduct a dictionary
   attack," Again, while absolutely true, without also stating that the
   dictionary attack can only be mounted by an authorized user (who could use
   any of a number of other interfaces on the system to mount the same attack),
   you imply that this is an "exposure of LDAP."

    - Assume for the moment, that this behavior was only available in
   LDAP. Posting to bugtraq itself was misleading. Advisory services such as
   CERT and Bugtraq are inteneded to be used to notify the public of exposures
   inherent to a system that are neither obvious nor easily avoided. While it
   is laudable that one would try to inform the public about common
   configuration issues and mistakes, much of what you have reported falls into
   the "if you don't manage explicitly manage the security of your system, your
   not protected" category. Posting this sort of information on these sorts of
   sites is inherently misleading, in my opinion.

    - A previous append of yours stated that you "tried to talk to IBM
   but they wouldn't talk to you without a customer number" is also misleading
   -- intentionally or not. Had you done a bit of homework before hand, you
   should have easily found the details behind IBM's phone- and web-based
   support-line contracts AND the web-based software support site where anyone
   can report any bug without a support-line contract. I have never used the
   web-based support before so I had to spend about 2 minutes to find
the URL: OS400
   and i5OS
support.<http://www-912.ibm.com/supporthome.nsf/document/32244842>Whether
you care for the rigamoral involved is not justification for
   implying that IBM would not accept the input. But I don't believe that
   eliminates the responsibility that anyone has for notifying and working with
   the vendor to fully understand and provide all of the details.

In my opinion, a security expert should
one should verify that they understand the entire nature of a suspected
exposure, report it to the vendor of the product that can actually fix or
change the behavior, report problems