Hi Scott-

I agree with you completely: I spend a lot of time dealing with DSPF
design (mixed case labels, consistent field attributes, consistent
label terminology, fields lined up to promote easier reading).  My
(mostly) DDS dabatase has mixed-case column headings (right-justified
for numerics, of course), mixed-case text, and edit codes.  Command
keys are highly standardized; every application panel has a custom F1
(help) panel.  And of course there are strong, enforced naming
standards and conventions application-wide.  I don't call any of this
"cosmetic"; it's mission-critical function, usability, and
documentation.

Having readable TEXT() allows me to program-generate help panel groups
and insert the help keywords into DSPF's automatically; I just extract
it from the database.  It's another example of why doing the right
thing pays off later.

One problem is knowing I can make a browser application look and work
much better by adjusting font size, color, and type; by using varying
colors to indicate degree of a given status; and by using a few little
icons to denote status.  But you can't beat green screen for
time-to-deliver or response.

Except for 5250 and CGIDEV2, I don't have any useful knowledge of
other UI's.  I need to commit to investigating all major approaches
(in my spare time).

Unfortunately, many senior executives associate green-screen
applications with old, tired products.  How many CxO's know that
iSeries won the 2001 Linux World award for best Linux integration?
Not many, probably, because IBM's done a crummy job of beating that
drum.  The drum and bugle corps is out for WebSphere every day.

-reeve