These are my opinions and not necessarily the opinions of my employer:

>You do not need any kind of user profile to throw
>the dictionary or a list of names at LDAP or at POP3 to compile
>a list of valid user profiles, and authorized users shouldn't be able
>to do some of the things described.

I don't know much about the OS400 POP server. As far as I know, the OS400
POP server is not used by a wide range of OS400 customers...

However, the above statement is FALSE with respect to LDAP. One not only
needs an OS400 user profile with which they bind to LDAP, but that profile
will only be able to see those other user profiles to which they are
authorized.

It is possible that whatever system is being tested is using an entirely
different mechanism through LDAP called "Published" user profiles. This
mechanism must be explicitly configured before anything is published. It
cause entries in the SDD to be "copied" to the LDAP repository. It is an
entirely different mechanism than the projected user profile LDAP back-end.
These entries, in effect, create an LDAP user ID with the same name as an
OS400 user profile. LDAP ACLs are used to determine which LDAP users are
allowed to see which entries. I would assume that if one explicitly
configured the SDD published user function
In this case, there is a real LDAP object with the user profile names.
However, this behavior must be configured. Entries are not published by
default when the LDAP server is started.

It is a laudable goal to want to educate people regarding how their systems
may not be properly managed with respect to security. But doing it such a
way that important details are either wrong or completing missing creates
more problems than will ever be solved. And reporting it as an exposure of
all systems of that type rather than to the way a particular system is
managed is also irresponsible. Public postings should contain all of the
necessary and accurate information required for people to take action.