These are my opinions only. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
my employer...

Just a couple examples of inaccuracies

   1. Claim: The LDAP server on OS400 provides information about userIDs
   on OS400. The LDAP server is started automatically. Both are true.
   Implied by the posting: OS400 will provide anyone who knows how to
   talk to an LDAP server information about user profiles on the system.
   False/wrong/inaccurate.

   Clarification: OS400 in general -- not LDAP on OS400 -- allows a
   person to see those user profiles to which they are authorized on a specific
   system. The LDAP server provides the same information that other OS400
   interfaces will provide based on authorization.

   This is NOT a problem related to LDAP and characterizing it as such is
   inaccurate. This is an architected and documented behavior of the system --
   not for LDAP but for any interface related to list user profiles that exist
   on the system. Sending people off to look for an LDAP exposure wastes time
   and energy and takes focus away from things they could be doing to manage
   the security on their systems better.

   The LDAP server is started by default, however, unless it has some
   PUBLIC information stored in it (access allowed to anyone that binds), there
   is nothing to see. The fact that an authenticated OS400 user can see the
   same information through LDAP that they could see through any other non-LDAP
   interface to look at the same type of data does not necessarily constitute a
   security exposure.

   The recent public postings implied that not only is the LDAP server
   started by default, but that somehow the information about other profiles on
   the system is available to anyone that knows the TCP/IP address of the LDAP
   server. Only authorized OS400 user profiles are allowed to access the
   "projected user profile" LDAP back-end. Even when authorized the profiles
   can only see those other profiles to which they are authorized.

   If one doesn't agree with the documented behavior, then they should
   provide the necessary information to the vendor (not to mention read the
   documentation which is on-line in the information center). I personally do
   not consider this a security exposure; however, if you believe it is no
   longer considered appropriate then work to change it through the vendor who
   is the only one that can. Publishing inaccurate information in a public
   forum is not an efficient way to influence change.

   Again, seeing any data to which you are authorized is not considered a
   security exposure. On OS400, as opposed to those systems you might actually
   use, user profiles are separate objects (it's an object-based OS). Since a
   user profile is an object you have a level of authorization control over
   them that is not typically available on other systems.

   Because the public announcement only noted the LDAP server, a lot of
   people went on a hunt to try to find something they were not likely to find.

    2. Claim: OS400 has a security exposure because a bad person could
   use commands on OS400 to do bad things on Windows.
   Implication: OS400 causes the exposure.
   Clarification: The fact that you can use information from a connection
   established by windows to perform windows commands unrelated to the
   connection is not an exposure of another system that "COULD" take advantage
   of it. It is a windows exposure. It's something that needs to be managed or
   fixed in Windows.

   Announcing it as an OS400 exposure is inaccurate and helps no one
   address the real "issue." The implementation of commands on OS400 use the
   same mechanisms on the windows side as could be used from any other system.

    3. Claim: IFS is not protected by 3rd party vendor products...
   Implication: IFS cannot be protected. Whether intended or not, this
   was the implication, and this is totally false.
   The short description of IFS implied that by it's mere existence on
   OS400, that there was some kind of "undesirable" security attribute. It is
   easy to use OS400 as a file server for windows, but it can just as easily be
   configured to only share files in a particular part of the IFS file system
   tree or subdirectory of a particular file system tree.

   Is it possible to incorrectly file server more files than intended?
   Yes. Is this a security exposure for the system? No? Is it a security
   exposure for 3rd-party applications? I don't know, because since I don't own
   or use those applications, I cannot be certain how
   they are configured and if they are configured correctly. However, it
   is not clear that if the observed behavior was related to exposures in 3rd
   party products or due to the way a particular implementation of one or more
   of those products. Without a copy of the product and documentation, I don't
   see how anyone could ascertain whether observed behaviour is an inherent
   exposure in the product. At best, one should clarify whether they have
   actually tried each product AND whether the problem was known NOT to be a
   configuration problem.

    4. Claim: "IBM refused several times to answer my queries about some
   of the
   issues. I was asked to supply a valid service agreement before anyone
   would talk to me."
   Implication: IBM will not accept input related to security exposures
   Clarification: The IBM support line DOES accept input related to
   security exposures. If you do not have a support line agreement you can only
   use the interent interfaces; you are not entitled to phone support.

   There is no way IBM could provide phone support to customers that
   actually pay for their systems and presumably understand how their system is
   configured if they spent time with those people who haven't apparently
   purchased a system.

It is irresponsible, in my opinion, to publicly report a security exposure
when one does not totally understand the system or applications for which
they are reporting an exposure. It is also irresponsible not to get
independent verification of a suspected exposure -- especially if one does
not even know how the system being tested is configured with respect to
security.

I don't see how it is possible to determine whether a security exposure is
inherent to a whole class of systems or merely due to the way a particular
system is configured or managed if you don't have access to someone who can
report an APAR. To not mention in public postings that the vendor was not
notified because you are not a customer is also misleading, in my opinion.