Nick - i don't use BRMS, but I use the following cl to verify the tape is
ready
before running the save cmd. If the parm &error = Y i can bypass the save.
It handles
tape in the drive but not initialized, no tape in the drive, or tape in
drive but not able
to init.
jim
*************** Beginning of data *************************************
             PGM        PARM(&ERROR)
             DCL        VAR(&ERROR) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1)
             DCL        VAR(&STATUS) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(5 0)
             DCL        VAR(&TRY) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(5 0)
             CHGVAR     VAR(&ERROR) VALUE('N')
/* VERIFY TAPE READY                                                */
/* IF NOT VARIED ON - VARY OFF/ON AND TRY AGAIN                     */
 $RTV:       RTVCFGSTS  CFGD(TAP01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STSCDE(&STATUS) /* +
                          see help for status code descriptions */
             IF         COND(&STATUS = 30) THEN(GOTO CMDLBL($INZ)) +
                          /* varied on - ok  */
             CHGVAR     VAR(&TRY) VALUE(&TRY + 1)
             IF         COND(&TRY > 3) THEN(GOTO CMDLBL($INZ)) /* +
                          let it fail */
             VRYCFG     CFGOBJ(TAP01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*OFF)
             MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0000)
             DLYJOB     DLY(03)
             VRYCFG     CFGOBJ(TAP01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)
             MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0000)
             DLYJOB     DLY(03)
             GOTO       CMDLBL($RTV)
/* INITIALIZE TAPE                                                  */
 $INZ:       INZTAP     DEV(TAP01) NEWVOL(IBMIRD) NEWOWNID(SAVE) +
                          CHECK(*NO) DENSITY(*CTGTYPE)
             MONMSG     MSGID(CPF9999 CPF6760) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL($INZ1))
             GOTO       CMDLBL($OK)
 $INZ1:
             CHGVAR     VAR(&ERROR) VALUE('Y')
             GOTO       CMDLBL($END)