Tom,  Your writing in quotes:

"Dave:

Right there is the sole underlying premise to my comment. The editing I
did was specifically to focus on the pure idea that 'we all know what
happened to OS/2'. It struck me as an intriguing comment and I wondered
how many of "us" (Midrange_L listers) would have imagined that IBM still
has OS/2 and would have a web page leading into "OS/2 Strategy for
2005".

OS/2? Strategy? 2005??? Huh?"

Sorry, for cutting things down but I though it would be better for the
site.  Its a mystery to me as well.   Perhaps it is because there is
still somewhat of a loyal following judging from information I found on
the Phoenix OS/2 web site.  This is the group to which I used to belong
and the folks there heavily involved with this group were also heavily
involved with WarpStock, the yearly international users convention.
BTW, there was a Warpstock held in Denver last October 21-24th.

"Anyone know how much IBM makes from OS/2 nowadays? Since OS/2 was
pulled from the desktop market a decade ago and focused on the server
market, what has happened? To tell the truth, I'm very much in the dark.
Yet, we "all" know. It's long dead. And still yet... "OS/2 Strategy for
2005". (I'm pretty sure the strategy is little more than finding more
ways to profit from replacing OS/2 systems with ones that have better
service revenues.)"

Sorry, but I can't answer your questions but perhaps the various OS/2
websites might lead you to an answer.  I know the leaders of the Phoenix
OS/2 users group used to be in close contact with whomever at IBM was
still involved with OS/2.

"Further, while open market OS/2 developers are effectively
non-existent, there are in fact points of demand for them in some very
large enterprises. Surely the demand must come from ever fewer locations
(dramatically fewer, I'm sure); but SOMEbody is still involved enough
for IBM to supply web browser and Java updates for OS/2.

I keep wondering, with a functional browser and semi-recent JVM, along
with, say, OpenOffice, what would be the possibilities? If any lingering
Microsoft licensing issues for possible OS/2 internals manage to expire,
could an open-source OS/2 become possible? How could an open-source OS/2
affect the desktop market?

But, "we all know" that OS/2 is dead. I'm just curious is all.

Tom Liotta"

I understand your curiosity and share it.  If I find out anything, I'll
let you know.  Hummm, OS/2 going to open source???  Now, that would be
interesting, indeed!

Take care fellow OS/2 lover,

Dave