From: Walden H. Leverich [mailto:WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 7:59 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: AS/400 data connection with ADO.NET

Ahmed,

First, read my iSeries Experts Journal articles <G> (Couldn't resist)

Are you familiar with using ADO.Net to talk to any database
(SQLServer?). Talking to the iSeries isn't any different. If you're not
familiar with .NET one major difference between .NET and non-.NET is
that by default .NET wants you to use provider-specific classes. That
is, to talk to SQLServer you use SQLConnection from
System.Data.SQLServer, to talk to DB2 on iSeries you use iDB2Connection
from IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries. The advantage is that you get access to
provider-specific methods, the disadvantage is that you've bound
yourself to a data provider. You can get around this, but that's another
discussion.

Generically speaking the steps to get data are

1) Connect to iSeries
2) Create command
3) set command text = "select * from customer"
4) set datareader = command.execute()
5) while (!datareader.Read)
6) do something
7) loop (back to #5)
8) close connection

Now there are all sort of variations on that process, the most common
involving a dataset instead of a datareader and closing the connection
right after step #4.

As I said earlier, the connection to the iSeries isn't any different
than a connection I to any other database, so stop by your favourite
book store and grab a book on using ADO.NET.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO
Tech Software