Hi Chris,

I think you are quite lucky to work at a company that
has the resources available to provide your customers
with reliable disaster recovery options.

It could be that porting your application to a
different server environment might help to illuminate
i5 - iSeries benefits that customers hadn't previously
considered.

I found a product via google search that claims to
allow iSeries applications to be converted into
compatible formats for other server environments
including AIX. Since there is already a version of DB2
for AIX, the RPG application conversion is probably
your biggest challenge in considering a port from
RPGLE to a language available with AIX.

http://www.pks.de/products/iSeries/migration_tools_400.htm

Good luck with the project. I hope we never see the i5
- iSeries operating system compromised in the manner
outlined by your company's owner though.

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

E-mail: ptykodi@xxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.tykodi.com

>date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:49:53 -0800
>from: Chris Bipes <chris.bipes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>subject: Alternate to iSeries
>
>The owner of CrossCheck has asked me to find an
>alternate platform to run our authorization system
on.  >It is an in-house grown RPGLE application. Does
IBM >offer an RPGLE compiler for their pSeries
systems?  We >will still have our current iSeries
based system but >also offer a second system running
with a different >OS.

>The owner feels that if terrorist were to ever
>hack iSeries and bring then down world wide, we would
>still have our secondary system running.  He does not
>like any single point of failure, which is why we
have >two locations across the US.  What other systems
can I >run DB2 and RPGLE on?

=====
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant