Teachers Retirement System in NYC. Many NYC agencies as well.

Fiona Fitzgerald <fiona.fitzgerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"For another Florida iSeries shop, the City of Orlando, powering down and
waiting out the storm is not an option.
The city runs eight iSeries and 130 Wintel systems, plus about 10 Unix
boxes. However, says Deputy CIO John Matelski,
"80 percent of our mission-critical applications like police, fire, and
computer-aided emergency dispatch run on the AS/400,
which was selected for its stability and uptime.

One of the biggest difficulties for the city during Hurricane Charley was
not loss of computer power, but loss of cable TV.
"That's one of our main sources of getting information," Matelski points
"We still kept our Internet access, but television is a significant
resource for our emergency managers,
and the mayor for conveying the correct information to the public."
To correct that problem, the city quickly installed a satellite dish before
Frances hit.

? Mary Lou Roberts, Industry Reporter, iSeries Network

*This article has been adapted from its original form online. For the full
story, see http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/nwn/story.cfm?ID=19223.

Notice of Confidentiality

This transmission contains information that may be confidential and that may
also be privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient of the message (or
authorised to receive it for the intended recipient) you may not copy, forward,
or otherwise use it, or disclose it or its contents to anyone else. If you have
received this transmission in error please notify us immediately and delete it
from your system.

Email: internet.mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you Yahoo!?