Internet Redundancy

fixed

Hello gang

        Most of the older, traditional telecommunication backbones, either on
the part of the telephone companies themselves,
        or, if your company had sufficient budget, always provided a backup
methodology to their infrastructure.

        Over the last many years, I've been witnessing a quantum leap by
companies to port their telecommunication
        systems to the Internet.
        The assumption on the part of the corporations utilizing the Internet,
is that it is an extremely stable and well
        supported chain of servers, from AT&T to UCC Net, and intrinsically,
can experience a 'problem' or outage of
        a large segment of the system, but the Internet as a whole will keep
running.

        The older systems were concerned solely with physical
inter-connectivity of networks, but as we all know
        the Internet is subject to a new problem, namely viruses, and hackers.

        This new 'Achilles heel', I suspect, will one day cause a great deal of
trouble to our wired society, and the problem
        will probably come from a very intelligent , very computer literate
individual, and not some wise kid, trying to
        impress his girl friend.

        Does anyone know if this redundancy shortfall is wide spread, or are
there in fact, some form of backup to the
        Internet paradigm?

Ken Shields
PPG Canada Inc
kenshields@xxxxxxx