We had a guy here who wrote a custom command with extensive UIM help.  His
son prompted it in WDSC and it automatically came up with a web based page
that automatically converted the UIM help to web appearance.  We thought
it was pretty cool.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/23/2004 09:25 PM
Please respond to

Fax to

Using UIM for help text even easier with V5R3

James Lampert mentioned how easy it is to write help text with UIM. V5R3
has made it even better, with the GENCMDDOC command. This command is used
to generate either HTML or UIM source based on a retrieved command
description (QDCRCMDD command does not have a help PNLGRP attached, you
will get a skeleton based on the parameters, etc., with places to put your

text. If there is a PNLGRP, the command will generate the UIM source for

There are a couple nice things - the source is not version-dependent. So,
if you are like us, who develop on V5R1, you could bring your commands to
V5R3 machine, run the command, then bring the source back to the V5R1

You can also reverse-engineer IBM's help text with this. This could give
you ideas on how to do some of the neat things we see.

Then, once you have created the PNLGRP, run the command again to get HTML,

if you want. No more syntax diagrams (BOO! HOO!), but a nice parameter
table with links to the individual parameter help.

Guy Vig, of IBM, had webcasts in the last 2 weeks on both the new CL flow
control stuff, etc., and the command documentation thing. Go to
www.search400.com and look for webcast archives. He's also going to be at
Toronto COMMON.