Dear Rob, Michael, and Wes,

Caution must be used when adding File Shares to your IFS.

File Shares are used to make directories in the IFS available via your
network. Once the directory (or path) is made available to the network,
OS/400 security takes over. Now, if the default authority setting for the
IFS has not been changed, then the security is wide open. Once the
directory is made available to the network, anyone with access to the
network has access to the directory.

Our Bill of Health software finds and reports all file shares defined
on your system, including the default file shares defined by IBM, as well as
explaining how to maintain them through iSeries Navigator. Information
about the product:  http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/BOH/source/1.html

Here's a page of information on IFS-related security topics:
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/6ED/source/2.html. That page is
part of a written-in-plain-English summary of all OS/400
vulnerabilities. Access to the full content is available here:
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/BOH-Benefits/source/1.html

OS/400 security was important before long before Sarbanes-Oxley
was invented. The 'alphabet soup' list of IT regulations, state laws,
standards, and requirements has been steadily growing. Look here
for a full list of the standards and a 30,000 foot summary of each one:
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/ITstandards/source/1.html

All this IT security compliance activity is generating full employment
for IS departments; look here for an essay entitled:

       "IT Security: What shareholders should know about the
        exploding responsibility for data integrity"
        http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/debriscloud/source/1.html

Warm regards,

Milt Habeck
Unbeaten Path International