> In order to get a clear idea of what you want, can you please provide
> three scenarios of what your users should see? Describe telnet, FTP
> and iSeries file transfer, and that might be enough for a reasonably
> full response (perhaps close to what's reasonable as "full".)

I really don't want the client software to change at all, in look and feel
or underlying code.  But for some users, I want the "password" entered at
the prompt to be characters that prove they know a secret that isn't the
password stored with their AS400 user profile.

On the server, I want that info passed into an exit program that talks to
a secret-verifying service, determines whether to allow the signon, and
continues the session under whatever user profile I want to map onto the
username.

So the out of band communication doesn't involve the client, just more
server-side code that knows what to do with the non-standard auth strings.

Is this only possible when logging in via some channels and not others?

-Jared