service programs (calculate special assessments, calculate delinquent taxes,
etc). Many are OPM; all run in the default activation group. All of the
programs that the new system will submit call one or more of these programs.
Most of these programs return data to the calling program via work files in
QTEMP.

Some of the programs that are submitted from the new system access the same
files as one or more of the called programs noted above - in addition to the
work files in QTEMP. For examle, one program accesses the certificate logical
#1 and the called program that calculates the certificate interest also
accesses the same logical. Both are input only. Other instances can exist where
either one or the other might update the common file.

I have not introduced the file  I/O modules into existing programs.

I have modifed the particular programs that get submitted from the new system
(the system schedules specific periodic jobs). Again, each CL is *New; each RPG
pgm is *Caller.

My questions are:
How does being in different activation groups affect accessing the same file in
the same submitted job?

In the future: If these were interactive jobs and we bounced around through the
OPM programs in the menu system and occasionally got to ILE programs that were
in their own activation group and accessed the same files (same logicals),
would I be creating a mess?

My boss asks if I am sure that I won't be creating problems with file updates.

I'm thinking we're OK because no files are SHARE *YES and we seldom override
data base files.

TIA

Fran Denoncourt
Sr. Programmer/Analyst