You might want to look at the new support in i5/OS V5R3 (now available as of
June 11, 2004) for Enterprise Identity Mapping and Single-Sign-On... (if you
are on a software subscription or support contract, you should be able to
order the V5R3 upgrade at no charge, except of course perhaps some shipping
costs.)  No additional hardware is required.

IBM has one of the best implementations of this (EIM and SSO) in the
industry, and it is included as a "no-charge" feature of i5/OS at V5R3; all
you have to do is set it up and turn it on, and it is not an "all or
nothing" proposition; you can phase it in, one or a few users at a time. ;-)

The "big idea" is, you can have just one userID and password across all your
platforms, instead of having to maintain one set of userIDs for Windows, one
for Solaris, one for iSeries, one for Linux,  and so on.  You do not even
have to maintain the "master" for these userIDs on the iSeries; you can
choose to maintain that on Linux or a Windows server, etc.  And the userIDs
do not have to "match" exactly across all platforms; you can identify to EIM
which OS/400 user profiles matches each Windows username, etc.