... seriously THINKING ABOUT moving the user desktops...

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

rob@xxxxxxxxx
05/28/2004 09:24 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Problems with moving IBM software form one machine to another

You ought to try dealing with Microsoft and keeping track of their
licensing.  We do things on the up-and-up here but the boss is seriously
moving the user desktops to Linux after that last Microsoft audit.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

glea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/27/2004 06:26 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Problems with moving IBM software form one machine to another

This might be something to add to the ongoing saga of why the iSeries is
losing market share.  Our company has been running on S/38 and AS/400
since the S/38 was a puppy.  Recently the building that houses our AS/400
went up for sale.  Instead of shipping our AS/400 to our Chicago office
and facing a certain amount of downtime, we decided to buy an identical
machine and have it installed there, then move the entire operation to
that machine.  There is absolutely no difference between the two machines,

each is a mod 620 with the same amount of memory, the same amount of DASD
and the same processor.  We had a little trouble with one of our software
vendors getting the business software relocated but it was fairly easily
resolved.  The only piece of IBM software that we want to move there is
Query/400.  Somehow they don't believe that we really own it.  We have
been running everything on the "new" machine since early March but have
only been able to run Query/400 due to obtaining temporary keys.  We have
provided them with proof but they keep asking for more.  Somehow
I don't understand why they can't look up our original order, invoices and

any other documentation in their own computers.  At least I would assume
that they have some kind of history in their computers.  This has not won
them any points with our execs.

Earlier we had a problem with IBM because they had our name wrong on the
billings for our hardware Maintenance agreements.  We had been part of a
large corporation which sold off it's divisions to several different
entities.  The corporate headquarters was sold to another company and
completely changed the name.  We were no longer a part of that entity.
Somehow they changed our company name to the new name of the company we
never had anything to do with.  We were fortunate enough not to need to
change our name and had never purchased anything from IBM under any other
name but our own.  However, when I pointed out their error, the
representative that I spoke to insisted that we had changed our company
name, demanded to talk to my manager and demanded proof that we were who
we said we were.  I finally told him I only wanted them to correct their
error and that they could keep billing us under the wrong name if they
really insisted on it.  This has also been a thorn in the side of our
execs.

The two problems are probably part and parcel of the same thing but,
instead of admitting that their records are incorrect and working with us
they insist on making it difficult to do business with them.  Now the
perception is "Why Bother?".

Many of the execs have a perception of the AS/400/iSeries as being
obsolete technology.  We have been looking for new software to run the
business and I have been trying to convince the powers that be that the
AS/400 is the better way to go due to higher resistance to hackers,
viruses, reduced need for multiple servers, etc.  It has been an uphill
battle but IBM's arrogance on these points has served to knock the props
out of whatever gains I was able to make.

Unfortunately, by the end of the year we will be running our business from

a Microsoft platform.

Gary S. Lea
Applications Group Manager
Dexter Magnetic Technologies, Inc.