On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 12:15, darren@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It is a little different with 2D.  Most linear type barcodes don't allow a
> carriage return mid-stream because the maximum field size is so small that
> this would be irrelevant.  I understand that you can configure a barcode
> scanner for the behavior that will occur when the barcode read is complete.
>
> With PDF417, however, you're allowed a field size approaching 2000
> character.  So, in theory, you could populate the barcode with someone's
> entire mailing address.  Our customer seems to be using a carriage return
> as a field delimiter when reading the barcode.  You have to send something
> in the barcode to tell the scanner, "hey, hit the return key before you
> read more data."

Darren,

Seems like the scanner would be looking for an x'0D' and/or x'0A'.  If I
remember correctly, if you encode x'0D25' into your ebcdic string, it
will be converted to x'0D0A' by the ebcdic to ascii conversion table.

So,
eval barcode = %trim(barcode) + x'0D25';
might do the trick.

Incidentally, would you mind telling me what print mechanism you are
using to print the 2D barcodes?  I was just reading the other day that
host print transform is incomplete in that it will transform and print a
1D barcode, but not a 2D barcode (as of V5R2).  Has that limitation been
removed, or are you using an IPDS printer of some kind?
--
Regards,
Rich

Current Conditions in Des Moines, IA