Hey davey,

Just wrote my first command exit point program two weeks before COMMON. It
takes SNDDST and converts it into SNDEMAIL.  Be happy to send you a copy
off list.

I too, looked at the library list solution.  The command exit point does
not involve any IPL's or any other method of restarting every single job
to make sure it uses the new system library list.  (At least for the
initial creation of that library and the changing of system value
QSYSLIBL.)

Back when Autojectors had their own 400 we renamed the command CLROUTQ
because PM taught the users to run it on a frequent basis for QEZJOBLOG.
Never really had any problems with any IBM programs.  I suspect none of
them use CLROUTQ.  Well, I suppose if you wondered why option 14 failed to
work from WRKOUTQ...

You can restrict the command if you wanted to with WRKOBJ.

Or, you can just do a CHGCMD and remove *INTERACT from "Where allowed to
run".  This will still allow anyone to use it in case you have it buried
in an application program or some such animal.  Just for you, I did that
on GDISYS to test.  Then I tried option 14 from WRKOUTQ.  Locked it down
tight.  CPD0031-Command CLROUTQ not allowed in this setting.  Then I did a
CHGCMD and set it back.  *IPGM will still allow it to run interactively if
it is buried in an application program.

Now, these last two options require that you make these changes whenever
you upgrade OS, etc.  This is a selling point for the modification of
system library list.  However the command exit point will definitely catch
it.  Just requires some programming on your part.  Versus a simple CHGCMD
or EDTOBJAUT.

Then there is turning on spool file journalling.  Yes, it is after the
fact, but it does give you a nice excuse for RIF.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"David A Parnin" <daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/10/2004 11:27 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Restrict CLROUTQ--A good use for an exit program?

Good morning all,

We have a situation where someone appears to be clearing an outq for a
printer used by many people.  There's no real need for any user to be
using
the CLROUTQ command or choosing option 14 from WRKOUTQ.  What we would
like
to do is to log the user-id of people trying to do this and give an error
message to any non-MIS people.

My boss initially suggested creating a modified CLROUTQ command that was
higher in the library list than the system command.  Over the weekend I
started wondering if an exit program could do the job.  I've never
attempted an exit program before but wouldn't mind learning.  I've seen
examples for FTP and Telnet in the archives but can they be added for any
command?

I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company