First... sorry for messing up the subject line...

Second... to stretch the medical/disease/pandemic analogy a bit further:

I believe there is a cure, and those "in the know" could end all of this virus
nonsense.  Unfortunately, there's no money in the "cure", only in "managing the
illness."  Maybe when I get my Java skills up to snuff, I'll get a Mac G5 and
start rewriting stuff to avoid the virus' du jour.

I also run several Windows machines (as a hobby, at home) and they are
continuously connected to the 'net.  The only time I've had a problem with
viruses was with my Win98 machines awhile back before I learned to properly
configure services (I learned alot from Gibson Research - http://grc.com - and
his ShieldsUP utility.)  This has long been corrected, and my Win2k, WinXP, and
Win Server2003 boxes have been immune.

-William

date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:44:53 -0400
from: michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: MIDRANGE-L Digest, Vol 3, Issue 666

I find that the best method of protecting a Windows PC from a virus is to
switch to a Mac.