Hi, Sudha

Glad that worked. It makes things a little sticky for the user, to have to remember ot cast the literal, however. It might be easier, more usable, to declare the character parms as VARCHAR. SQL takes care of everything for you - if you pass it a CHAR, it'll convert as needed, and you don't need to pass the length, it takes care of that, too. Also, the called function does not need the length for the VARCHAR, as I had expected at first.

HTH
Vern

At 07:29 PM 3/22/2004 -0600, you wrote:
Oh! This is what I needed to do!..
I had to type cast it as char('literal').

Thank you all so much!
Sudha

Sudha Ramanujan
SunGard Futures Systems
sramanujan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(312) 577 6179
(312) 577 6101 - Fax
-----Original Message-----
From: Elvis Budimlic [mailto:ebudimlic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 4:28 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: UDTF with SQL and JDBC call

Sudha, one more thought comes to mind.
Are you passing literals in your tests?
For example, function excepts a short and you are passing '33' in.
System will use a default of 'INTEGER' data type and hence you will have
your function mismatch and message that "fn" could not be found.
For character it will assume VARCHAR for literals.

Bottom line is, either define your function as VARCHAR or typecast the
literal with CHAR('mycharinput').

Ideal fix is to create several stored procedures with all these varying
data
inputs and have them all point to the same UDF.  Then you don't have to
worry about passing in literals or not.

Best way to check what you have defined as data type for input parms is
query the SYSFUNCS system table.

Elvis