Tom,

In my experience, the system having the problem has to be the system that
reports the bug. Sounds like in your example you're getting the error at
runtime even though you presume it is a compiler bug. I would think you have
to report the problem from the runtime system, whatever release it is at,
and let IBM work it back to determine it is a compiler error and you used
*PRV.

Or are you saying that you want IBM to go back and fix a runtime error on a
no longer supported release because really it's a problem in the *PRV
compiler on a supported release? Good luck!

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:14:20 -0500
from: qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Tom Liotta)
subject: TGTRLS(*PRV) support?

Kind of a 'support philosophy' question...

There was a PTF for V4R4 that fixed a problem with RPG programs infrequently
getting an error message something like "Unrecognized record format".
(Doesn't really matter what the error was; this is potentially academic
anyway.)

Now, I've seen bugs that showed up release after release; and until someone
actually reported the problem, the latest release wouldn't get a PTF. You'd
think fixes would automatically be rolled up in a new release regardless,
but I've seen exceptions. So, let's say no one reported the same V4R4
problem at V4R5 or V5R1.

Now, you're compiling on V5R1 and need to specify TGTRLS(V4R4). Your program
eventually exhibits the "Unrecognized format" error. Do you report it at
V5R1 or V4R4? The bug is a compiler bug, not run-time.

I'd expect this to be a bug-fix that should definitely be rolled up, no need
for anyone to report it new at V4R5 or later. It'd be base compiler code at
GA or a PTF would be created for later releases as soon as it was reported
at earlier releases. That's what I'd expect, at least. (And maybe that's the
way it works.)

But the question has to do with TGTRLS() support on currently supported
releases. Does anybody happen to know what should happen if a bug is
reported on a program compiled _on_ a current release but _to_ an older
release?

Tom Liotta