> From: Pete Helgren
>
> Maybe I have Java dyslexia or something but when I see HTML, Java
code,
> and JavaScript all mixed together with Javabeans

I think perhaps you haven't gotten a chance to work with a proper JSP
interface.  It sounds like you're working with CS-101 geek-level JSPs,
which don't use servlets.  Back in the olden days, ex-Perl programmers
wrote JSPs as self-contained units which contained both business logic
and UI.  Those days are long gone, and those programmers are now busy
doing .NET stuff <grin>.  Instead, we now have JSP Model II which bears
a striking resemblance to the old green screen interface we're used to.

With JSP Model II, the idea is simple:

1. A servlet is invoked (from an HTML menu, usually)
2. The servlet executes business logic to generate data
3. The servlet populates a bean with that data
4. The servlet invokes the JSP
5. The JSP gets data from the bean and renders it with the rest of the
HTML
6. The user enters data and hits a button
7. The user data is posted back to the servlet

Think of it this way: A display file is basically a bunch of constants
with fields that allow you to display variable data from a buffer (some
of which may be input-capable).  A Model II JSP is an HTML page with
places where you display variable data from a bean (some of which may be
input-capable).

A Model II JSP is very like a traditional display file.  The servlet can
execute business logic in its native Java, or, like I prefer to do, it
can call an RPG program to do the heavy lifting.

Anyway, it's a great architecture.

Joe