On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 SCarter@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Assuming I don't have client access for the strpccmd commands is there a
> way to move files from a users PC to the IFS in a green screen application?

Perhaps 200 different ways.

> I am currently looking for a way to allow the user to place these
> documents in the IFS.

You're looking for a way for the USER to do this?  Not your program?
This is where you lose me. If you share a directory in the IFS, can't the
user just copy the files to that location?

You could even have code that waits for the files to appear, and doesn't
continue until they've appeared.

> If I felt comfortable that all of the PC were running client access I
> could just use strpccmd and start windows explorer in a certain
> directory, then use use IFS api's to move these to a permanent location.

I just don't understand why you need to use strpccmd to accomplish this.
Can't the user just copy to the location?  What does strpccmd accomplish?
Just prevents them from having to click on "My Computer"?!

> Is there anyway to accomplish this task within a green screen App?

There's lots of ways to accomplish this.  What you have to keep in mind is
that, no matter how you do this, there has to be two programs
communicating with each other.  One on the PC, and one on the iSeries.

If the process is initiated from the iSeries, that means that a program
on the PC has to be running and listening for requests.  in the case of
STRPCCMD, that program is a part of iSeries Access.  In the case of /QNTC,
it's a part of Windows.  That program, because it's always listening for
requests, and can potentially be used to run software on the PC or copy
data to the PC, is a security risk.

If you do it the other way, and have the user manually copy the data from
his folders to the iSeries IFS, the security risk is on the iSeries.  Is
that better?  Hard to say -- but I'll tell you this:  The security model
on the iSeries is far, far more robust than that on Windows.

You could, of course, write your own software that runs on the PC to
communicate with your iSeries software.  That would be ideal because it
could work EXACTLY the way you want it to, but again there's a security
risk on the PC if the process is initiated from the iSeries.

The best option, IMHO, is to make this a web application.  Have the user
access it via a web browser, and have a web page that asks for the file.
The file gets uploaded as a POST request to the iSeries web server, which
is likely to be much more secure as well as user friendly...