Hi Chris,

How much time do you have???
There are ways to get round this, but it's a complicated area, and it
depends what you want to do. What application are they running? With BPCS
for example they have to have a different NLS version (compiled to different
code page) depending on whether they have a Swedish primary language machine
or one with English primary and Swedish secondary. There is more to it than
just the CCSID or the QCHRID. Any client/server or PC apps just further
complicate the issue, as some do use code pages and some (FTP etc) don't.
And Swedish users logging on remotely will see different things than local
users. You really need to know what the Hex is for the characters, as
different parts of the iSeries (PDM, DFU, SEU, Query, SQL) may display them
differently.
Also, have you thought about which decimal point (period or comma) and other
monetary formatting issues, not to mention date format, the system is going
to use??
If the users just need to see customer names & addresses in their app, then
maybe this can be done at file level or by giving them different files etc.
There are lots of manuals and redbooks available on the IBM website, however
over the last 20 years of grappling with NLS issues, particularly with
countries like Turkey and Finland with lots of 'special characters' where
the usual PC code pages don't work either, I've learned that these things
don't always work as intended!
Have you thought about UNICODE??? Apparently this is now doable on the
iSeries.

Hope this helps,

Clare

Clare Holtham
Director, Small Blue Ltd - Archiving for BPCS
Web: www.smallblue.co.uk
IBM Certified AS/400 Systems Professional
E-Mail: Clare.Holtham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +44 (0)7960 665958