Comments do work in other scripting languages as well; both Cold Fusion and
Net.Data support the -- syntax.

Almost any page that does not "sanity check" data incoming from a browser;
whether entered by the user or not, is probably vulnerable; no matter what
other precautions have been taken. This does not; however, reduce the
effectiveness of other precautions (like reducing privileges of the account
running the webserver, using prepared statements, or using stored procedures
to access data) as the seriousness of an intrusion can be greatly reduced.

SQL injection is as big of a danger to a machine running OS/400 as a machine
running Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 1 (don't try that at home).  The
application code is what determines the level of vulnerability to this
particular attack. Of course this is only one vulnerability - OS/400 has no
IIS vulnerabilities.

I do agree that poor programming in the language of choice is at fault; but
I think you would be surprised a how prevalent examples of this
vulnerability are. Additionally it is not confined to machines running asp
or with a particular authentication scheme nor do most monitoring tools
provide any indication that you have been "hacked" as long as no damage is
done.