Yes... I have... I really like the one where they end with
the Intel logo and the Intel jingle... "Powered by IBM" ???

The NMB market is much less than 10% of AS/400 sales. That has
been true for a number of years.

You think it's "good" for them to NOT mention a particular
machine ???

Just a curious question, "Who is selling the equipment these days ?".

pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

What are you talking about? The SMB market is definitely NOT dead. Haven't you seen the new IBM ads directed at this market? Best of all, the ads don't talk about a specific machine. They're focused on solutions. Last Thursday in USA Today was a big story about how IBM is battling it out with M$, and the article gave IBM better marks than it did M$ in a bunch of areas.

Paul Nelson Arbor Solutions, Inc. 708-670-6978 Cell pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened." ~~ Billy Graham

Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx 12/18/2003 06:38 PM Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc: Subject: Re: The age old question:

Since IBM has forsaken the small business market place, I don't think there is much in the way of "white papers" and that sort of thing that "used" to be available.

I have seen any number of papers detailing the cost and
training required to convert from the 400 to NT. These
were done by two or three companies hired by IBM to hammer
on the NT solutions. (All my old links are "dead")

I don't think IBM even considers an "account" anything under
$100,000 so that makes your case very typical, another account
bites the dust and nobody cares.

Don't you wonder how many older systems left the fold simply
cause nobody bothered to ask them to stay ???

There isn't anybody even selling to the small accounts any longer.
When IBM whacked the BP program a couple of years back, that was
the final straw for small business accounts.

This will lead to the demise of the system as we know it today.
I think the systems will continue on, but they will only be known
in the larger accounts. The small accounts will finally throw up
their hands and say adios to IBM.

rick.baird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

situation: A friend of mine works for a small business where they've

had

an iseries running the business for quite a while, but the owner is
considering converting to an NT based system (for no good reason, IMO).

they are on V4R5 (they still use Officevision for a couple very

important

things), and IBM won't continue to support them unless they upgrade.

some of thier current processes need to be modernized, (credit card
processing via modem, OV, things like that), and they've been burned by
consultants in the past and are gun shy.

the decision on conversion has been put off for a year, and they're

looking

for options.   They don't want to commit to the cash to upgrade the
iseries, replace OV, etc, if they're going to go with the NT package.

My friend, rightly, is trying to convince them to stick with the iseries

-

The system they use now is a heavily modified rpg package, and is now

very

specific to thier line of work and would be difficult to replace with

any

package, iseries, NT or anything else. But it is a bit unwealdy, and

the

perception of course is that it's old fashioned. She needs ammo to back

up

her advice.

I know this has been asked and answered, a thousand times, ad-nauseum,

but

I've spent a while searching the archives and am not coming up with

exactly

what I was looking for.

I remember a thread or even a single post or web page that put the
pros-cons together succinctly on the NT vs. iseries. anyone remember

it

and have it bookmarked?