Gerald,

Yes, the ASCII xlate tables do all sorts of strange things. Best reference I ever found is the OLD "Asynchronous Communications Programers Guide" sc21-9592-2 (Note, they still shipped in white binders not HTML, when this one came.) Page-C3 shows that a EBCDIC x15 NL & x25 LF XLATE to x0A LF, but x0A is NULL. However, x02 STX, x03 ETX & x0D CR do map. Coming back if you xlate the stream the x0A will become a x15 EBCDIC NL.

However, I use something similar to that below, although I usually build the stream in a buffer and send the whole thing once, inserting my control characters outside the Xlate function as shown. The other option available is to build my own xlate tables for the project with CRTTBL

Lastly, it's a little unusual to see an ASCII STX x02 with out the matching ETX x03 so you should find out more about the data stream if you can..

        Hope this helps.
        JMS...