My best guess is that we are overdue for the next release, and that's what
will be discussed, but I was not invited, so I know nothing.

Al - in the Minneapolis Airport

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

             G Armour
             <garmour400m@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             10/31/2003 04:10                                      Subject
             PM                        IBM technical conference (was Re:
                                       WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO BRING NEW
                                       CUSTOMERS TO THE ISERIES?)
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I am confused by this.  Is this conference just a pow-wow for upcoming
product announcements, geared toward tech-heads?  Who is the target
audience for this conference?  It can't be the programmer ranks; it's hard
enough to get to COMMON or any of the other tech conferences that bestow
knowledge on *current* products.  Why wouldn't I rather just read the
announcements from the comfort of my cubicle now and catch the hands-on
training once it hits the street a year or two from now?

Even the major package developers, what is their interest?  (When they
can't even seem to invest in upgrading their code to RPG-IV, let alone
ILE.)  Our shop supports clients that use a package that is pure RPG-III,
and some of them have to be dragged kicking and screaming to upgrade off a
release that IBM no longer supports.

> If you are an Application Developer looking to learn how to enable or
> enhance your products to support iSeries in 2004, you will find this
> conference to be extremely valuable.

To *support* iSeries in 2004, all one needs to do is code RPG-III.

It's not that I don't think that upcoming release and hardware won't be
worthy, but I am hard pressed to see the value of this conference for most
shops.

I remember way back when IBM used to do local road shows to announce new
releases.  Do they even do that anymore?

Just really curious,
GA