Try the good old sort program from those /3x days. (No! It was AFTER the second
world war when companies used the sort facilities in System/3x and System/38.)
It is extreme fast and you can do the same things, you do usually in logical
files (e.g. iclude/exclude/group/build sum records etc.)

The command is FMTDTA. It reads so called sort-specs, where you define what
colums of the flat file to be sorted and wether it is ascending or descending.
The sort specs have to be in a source-file member. The sort-specs have a fixed
format. here is an example.
--------------sort specs--------this is the content of your source
member-----------
HSORTR     7A        3X  64       (Header spec: the sum of all sort fields
-here we have only one sort field- is 7) (2-8)
     FNC   2   8                       Sort columns 2 to 8
     FDC   1  64                       RECORD   (we sort a record with record
legth 64)
--------------end of sort
specs---------------------------------------------------------

And YES! If you use SEU, you have a prompter for this type of records (choose
type SRT38 if you start SEU with a new member)

Here is the sort-command

 FMTDTA INFILE((YourFlat_Input_File))
        OUTFILE(YourFlat_Output_File)
        SRCFILE(A_Common_Source_File_e.g.QCLSRC)
        SRCMBR(here_you_specify_your_sort_specs)

Yes it is really VERY old. But it still works. And for a sort of a flat file
there is no faster method which I know.

Detlef Fallisch
F+F Consulting / Germany