No entry in netstat at all for this.

As far as using STRTCPSVR, good luck.  I used iSeries Navigator to
side-by-side compare services running under TCP/IP.
What is started on the working iSeries that is not started on the failing
iSeries:
SNTP
What is started on the failing iSeries that is not started on the working
iSeries:
ASFTomcat
Directory
What is listed as a service on the working iSeries that is not listed on
the failing iSeries:
Triggered Cache Manager - Stopped
What is listed as a service on the failing iSeries that is not listed on
the working iSeries:
Virtual Private Networking - Started
Which one do you think it might be?

>From an IBM technical document( 25703107):
  The iSeries 400 Tips and Tools for Securing Your iSeries V5R1.
SC41-5300-05, Chapter 7, Tips for Managing and Monitoring Authority,
Managing Service Tools, Service Tools Server (STS), shows the following
command is required to access DST functions:

ADDSRVTBLE  SERVICE('as-sts')  PORT(3000)  PROTOCOL('tcp')  +
TEXT('Service Tools Server')  ALIAS('AS-STS')

The ENDTCP and STRTCP commands are required for this change to be in
effect.  The RMVSRVTBLE and then ADDSRVTBLE commands can be used to change
the port for STS from the default value of 3000 to some other value.

I was also referred to technical document (27522047)
  I cannot get into some Operations Navigator Functions and am receiving
the following message:  Service Tools User Interface Not found.
 Resolution:
  The AS-STS (as-sts) service table was already entered at port 3000 for
TCP and TCP/IP was ended and restarted.  However, port 3000 is not showing
up in listen status in NETSTAT, Option 3.

The fully qualified host name from CFGTCP, Option 12 is in Option 10.
However, the entry in Option 12 has some case changes/sensitivities in it.

We changed Option 10 to match the case sensitivities of Option 12 and then
ended and restarted TCP/IP.  Port 3000 is now listening in NETSTAT Option
3, and the customer is now prompted for the service tools user profile.

However I suspect that the latter might have been a coincidence.  I have a
test iSeries that I purposely changed the case between CFGTCP options 10
and 12 for the domain name, stopped and started TCP/IP and had no problem.
 I suspect just the simple restart of TCP/IP for the customer in that
document was what did the trick.  However a restart of TCP/IP is no
"simple" thing for our organization.

Benjamin Franklin

Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/31/2003 12:22 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: WRKSRVTBLE vs NETSTAT

> To perform a certain iSeries Navigator function I need a certain
> WRKSRVTBLE entry:
> Service                                  Port  Protocol
> as-sts                                   3000  tcp
> I have this entry.  However it doesn't show up on NETSTAT OPTION(*CNN)

What do you mean by "it doesn't show up?"  Does that mean that it's
showing the number "3000" instead of the text "as-sts?"  Or do you mean
that there's no entry in netstat at all?

The former (Showing a number instead of a name) would indicate that you
didn't set up the service table entry correctly.  For example, maybe
it's a UDP port and you defined TCP in the service table entry.

The latter (showing nothing) would indicate that the application in
question is not running, and therefore not listening for connections on
that port.

> How do I determine why not?  We have used this iSeries Navigator
function
> before so the odds are slim to none that this was just recently added.
In
> theory an ENDTCP/STRTCP should reactivate this.  However with several
> hundred users - this is the same as an IPL.

I've never heard of enabling or disabling a TCP function by adding or
removing a service table entry...  Normally, you start the IBM-supplied
services with STRTCPSVR or STRHOSTSVR, and the 3rd party services by
running a command that they've supplied for you.

The items in WRKSRVTBLE are just for displaying a name such as "telnet"
instead of a number like "23."   Just a name to number translation
table...