Wow.  I looked at a utility app I wrote several years ago and use every
day, but forgot the shenanigans I had to go through with the very issue
you are tackling.  In my case, this is a subfile app, and I have two sets
of SFLCTL, SFL, and "normal" command keys record, one each per display
mode.  As you will see in the SFLCTL records, it refers to both modes,
even though each SFLCTL record is designed for one of the two modes.  I
honestly don't recall why this is coded the way it is - it's just been too
long - so I can't say whether it is necessary, or whether it is a kludge
that I found that "just works" (so don't fix it) after hundreds of
attempts to get it to compile <g>.  The "kludge" may have been necessary
because of the subfiles, but I'm not sure.

At the file level:
   A                                      DSPSIZ(27 132 *DS4 -
   A                                             24 80 *DS3)

At the record level (the last two digits of the record name indicate the
mode):
   A          R SFLCTL27                  SFLCTL(SFL27)
   A  *DS4                                SFLSIZ(0020)
   A  *DS3                                SFLSIZ(0008)
   A  *DS4                                SFLPAG(0020)
   A  *DS3                                SFLPAG(0008)

   A          R MSGSFLR27                 SFL
   A  *DS4                                SFLMSGRCD(27)
   A  *DS3                                SFLMSGRCD(24)

   A          R SFLCTL24                  SFLCTL(SFL24)
   A  69                                  DSPMOD(*DS3)
   A  *DS4                                SFLSIZ(0008)
   A  *DS3                                SFLSIZ(0008)
   A  *DS4                                SFLPAG(0008)
   A  *DS3                                SFLPAG(0008)

These are all the *DSn references in the display file.  I am scratching my
head at looking at these specs, so I'm afraid I can't offer much guidance
as to the why???  Also, the statement with DSPMOD(*DS3) conditioned by
*IN69?  There's no reference in the program to that indicator.

Also, for reference, in the RPG program, the way to determine whether the
display the program is running on is capable of 27x132 is:
   fFSMCPPDSP cf   e             Workstn InfDS(WInfDS)
   d* WInfDS - Workstation INFormation Data Structure
   d WInfDS          ds
   d  Num_Rows             152    153B 0
   d  Num_Columns          154    155B 0
   d* Num_******* - Returns the size capability of the display
   d*               device; either 24x80 or 27x132

So, my uneducated first guess for you, Pat, is to stick a DSPMOD(*DS3)
conditioned by an indicator that never gets set on, in each 24x80 record.
That probably isn't much help, as it doesn't explain why it works (for me,
anyway).

If you want me to send you the entire display file source, please email me
privately.

GA