Generally speaking using a search engine should be exponentially faster.
This is because the search engine will have indexed all of the pages and
really just does a lookup in its index.  And yes, I was thinking you would
use the iSeries Search engine that you mentioned.

Tecnhically speaking, I think you could probably just use CPYTOSTMF to
convert the source to the IFS.  The reason I was thinking of using HTML,
is just that it would be nice when looking at the source in a browser to
see it all color-coded and prettied up.

In terms of getting started, I think you would need to do a mass
conversion of your source code and then index it with the search engine.
Then, as an on going process, you could just incorporate this into your
change management process.  When you promote a change to production, you
could just re-convert that source and update the search engine index for
those documents.

I have not tried it myself, but unless the search engine index has
problems with all of the cryptic names in source code, I do not see why it
would pretty well.

Of course, this would only be a useful equivalent to the Browse and Print
List options of FNDSTRPDM.  It doesn't replace the ability to do an edit
source on the matches, or to run a user option on the matches.  So how
useful it would be might really depend on how you use the feature.  From a
speed and memory perspective, this should be way faster and use less
resources with the notable exception of DASD. This would obviously use a
significant amount of disk space to store the copies of the source.

Finally, another option.  I know that you use Domino in your shop.  What
if you used the same concept, and instead of converting source to HTML,
you added it as documents in a Domino database.  You could then use
Domino's great searching and indexing, and could possibly even use
Domino's views to organize source by library and file to provide even more
flexibility.

I think these are all somewhat interesting ideas, but in the end I just do
not see it as important enough to justify the work.  Maybe if I had 50
programmers constantly doing FNDSTRPDM it would be worth it, but
otherwise, I am content to just use the Search feature in WDSC.

Mark

craigs@xxxxxxxxx
10/15/2003 12:37 PM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion