Peter

You've hit it, AFAIK. Right now, I don't use a router at home between my PC and the cable modem -- I know, dumb. In my case, I use the address assigned by my ISP, but that could change - hasn't yet, but it could. In your case, as you say, you have to have an address known to the outside world, namely your router. But I also think that outside address needs to handle the VPN, and your router does not do that.

Sooo - replace your LinkSys standard router with a NetGear or LinkSys VPN router - then you have no W2K configuration to do - the routers do all the work, and what is behind either can talk to what is behind the other.

HTH

Vern