It sounds like it's waiting for the reverse DNS lookup to time-out.  For
whatever reason, the iSeries PING will first do a "forward DNS lookup" to
get the IP address of the host you want to send the ping to, and then it
does a reverse lookup on that address to get back the name.

For example, let's say I have an iSeries called "bigbertha.example.com"
and I have "iSeries.example.com" set up as an alias for that.

If I type:

ping iseries.example.com

it sends back a messae like this:

Verifying connection to host system BIGBERTHA.EXAMPLE.COM at address
  192.168.0.1.

How did it know that "iseries.example.com" was also called "bigbertha"?
Because it first got the address, then did a reverse-lookup on that
address to get the "canonical" hostname.

Okay, now that I've explained all of that...   your problem sounds like
the reverse DNS is waiting to time-out.

On FreeBSD I can specify an option to tell it not to do DNS (which is
useful in networks that don't have a DNS server) but the iSeries doesn't
appear to have this feature.