You may want to check out Trendmicro.com or Symantec.com for client
protection.

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified Associate System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6
803.326.7270 (W)
803.326.6142 (F)
chris.whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steve Landess <sjl_123@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: CWHISONANT@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/24/2003 09:46 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Microsoft emal virus

> Adam wrote:

> You might want to tell them that the customer is also sending out emails
> claiming to be from microsoft and that you are going to have to report
the
> ISP and client to Microsoft as well.
> In fact, sounds like a splendid idea...

I would start forwarding the virus-bearing emails to the abuse account at
both ISP's - yours and the offender's...send them to abuse@whateverdomain,
with a brief message indicating that you believe it contains a virus. They
need the headers to investigate, so send full headers...Hotmail has a
procedure for forwarding them that will show full headers, after you send
the first one to them they'll send you back an email with a procedure for
showing full headers.

After setting up around 30 filters on my paid Hotmail account, I have
caught
most of the virus-bearing emails and delete them immediately.  The ones
that
aren't caught end up in a folder named viruses, where I can then review
them
to see why my filters didn't catch them.

Once I revise my filter rules, I delete the virus-bearing email.  Not
perfect, but works for now, until I can get away from using Outlook
Express
to read my email.

It sucks that my McAfee virus-protection software (Home Edition, Version
7.03.6000) doesn't seem to work properly as far as screening the incoming
attachments.  I'm up-to-date on my DAT files (4.0.4294, Sept. 18).  I'm
not
too worried about getting infected, since it will notify me if I try to
open
or save an attachment containing a virus of which it is aware.  However,
it
would be nice if it quarantined them as they came in.

I have called McAfee support on a couple of occasions trying to get
answers,
but their free customer service also sucks...if you need any *real*
problems
solved, you have to have a paid support contract.

When the free updates expire, I'm going to switch to another package...any
suggestions?

Steve