-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Lang

> Is the W2K server a weak link in the chain of servers separating your
AS/400
> from the Internet?  What if the W2K server were compromized?  Would
> replacing the W2K server with an additional firewall offer more secure
> separation?

If the Win2K server is compromised, only that si compromised.  No one is on
the hardware where the data resides. There should be a firewall SEPARATING
the Win2K box and the AS/400.  Not sure what you mean by replacing it with a
firewall.

> Is that any more secure than opening only one port from a firewall to the
> OS/400 HTTP Server?

Extremely.  With HTTP, you have to accept all incoming requests, no matter
hwo they are formatted and hope the HTTP server filters out illformatted
requests.  With it goign to an application of custom design, you can filter
out illegal requests and do proper data validation.

Plus, if the HTTP server on Windows gets compromised, your data is still
safe.

> Is a proprietary protocol any more secure than the HTTP protocol?

If you code it correctly.

> I think so too.  But I'm not sure that its any more secure than connecting
> to the OS/400 HTTP Server from a firewall.

I don't think a lot of you understand how firewalls work. No one "conencts
from a firewall". Teh firewall is nothing more than a port filter.  The
reason it is more secure is that the webserver has to accept requests from
everyone and the type of requests sent to it are infinite.  That makes it
less secure.  If it gets compromised, all they compromise is a box runnign
an itnerface.  To get to your servr with data, they have to get past the
next firewall and into the next box that has your data,  If your firewall is
configured properly, the only port they can go through is what you opened
for your application to listen too.  so then they have to attack and try to
figure out a security whole in that application.  Sicne you knwo
specifically what type of data to expect, since only one box and one type of
requests ahppen, it is easier to fieter out obviuosly bad requests.

> Since a URL on the W2K server maps to the PC program, it seems to me that
> identifying the PC program is irrelevant.  The URL is known.

I don't think you understand hwo this works.  Soemone goes to a URL on the
webserver.  an application or ASP script or soemthing takes the parameters
and formats them and remotely calls the program on the AS/400 and the AS/400
returns the data and the webserver takes the data, puts it into a webpage
how ever they design it and returns the webpage to the user.  They don't see
the call to the AS/400.  There is no HTTP conenction between the webserver
and the AS/400.

> By using a "session" component on the AS/400, an HTTP request may have
> essentially no format too.  Same principle.  Don't disclose the program
> interface to the end user.

He isn't.  The user interacts with an HTML form.  The applciation interface
to the AS/400 is behind that.

> Sounds like a buffer overflow would be an effective denial of service
> attack, as well as a way of overloading the AS/400 - disrupting other
AS/400
> workload.

But they have to get past the webserver first.  THEN they have to get past
the firewall and the OS/400/application security.

> I'd just like to dispell the idea that front-ending an AS/400 with an W2K
> IIS server offers any advantage, particularly where security is concerned.

It isn't front ending it with IIS that is the advantage.  Front ending it
with a separate piece of hardware IS the advantage.  No if ands or buts
about it.  You are trying to "dispel" when you don't even seem to know how
some of the process works.