Hiya,

>My iSeries does not even come close to this level of reliability.  We've
>only had this system for 2 years, and it's already had instability due to
>software bugs (fixed by PTF, but that required a re-IPL), a drive
>failure, and corrupt disk objects that meant the system had to be taken
>down to run RCLSTG.

<RANT MODE>

well, we got our current i820 about 2.5 years ago, and I have seen more
probs and
downtime with this machine than with all other AS/400 (D60,320,620) we had
in the last
10+ years.

Even if I don't count the famous 6718 drives (12 of 20 failed within 4
month, including
a complete reload - with mirroring), we have had loads of other problems.
Faulty token-ring card (deactivated, but brought down the system) and
faulty power-supply.
Hey, for what are there 3 (three!) power supplies in there, when it doesn't
switch automatically
to another on. These were only 2 failures of about 10+.

And, at least here in Germany, all the experienced CE's are currently being
fired or retired by
IBM (in course of regrouping of the technical support). With the new guys
coming now, I'd have
better feelings doing the stuff myself ;(

<RANT MODE OFF>

Regards,

Oliver