At 18:28 04/28/2003, Rob Phillips wrote:
Today I was on a system that does not own the source code. I selected a menu item, and it bombed (Do we still use that term?). The error was MCH3401, and stated that 'Data pointer cannot be resolved because named object is not located within the activation group currently known to the process'. There was also a file not found, I am not sure if that is the problem, prior to the file not being found there is a library list change and another one thereafter. It is possible that the problem is in there, but what does this error mean in plain English?Thanks, Rob

OK, I'll take a crack at translation:

"Data pointer cannot be resolved..."
The object (probably file) was not found for the reason stated.

"...not located within the activation group currently known to the process."
The reason isn't clear. The message says it's a named object. Which object is it. What object type? Could it be a previously resolved pointer and the object has been deleted? Maybe it is a library list problem. The message says "data pointer", so it's not a program.

It's certainly an object not found error. The reason will need to be deduced from the context. Examine the messages preceding this one in the joblog. Always read the joblog backwards - from bottom to top, starting at the error message, until you come to the real reason.

hth

Pete Hall
pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.pbhall.us/