This does lead to a technical point.  We have a part of our organization
that is having some problems.  Many are sure that the problems are caused by
users ie: "people not following company procedures".

        Programs simply reflect business policy.
        Whether the computer system you utilize is multi-user or not, the
scenario you report
        looks similar to an excuse to commit malpractice, or crime.
        Find out who the auditing firm is for the company, and if necessary,
ask them to conduct an procedural control audit.
        if it is a simple operational matter, then the rules should be
        A computer system does have the affect of tightening procedural needs
within a business, but not necessarily
        between departments, or in an appropriate fashion.