Maybe I'm missing something here, but we made the transition to 64 bit in
1995, and pulled it of over a weekend for most customers.  *EVERYTHING
worked, day one.  Some LPPs were dropped, but the fallout rate of LPPs on
the 400 platform has been far less than that of various PC platforms.  The
only significant LPP to fallout and bite IBM in the ass was OV/400, but
that product only got developed because someone at IBM had their head up
where they ultimately got bit.

There are alternatives to buy an OV/400 replacement product at a
significant random (err... price), there are PC alternatives, and I have a
customer that has directed me to develop a DDM alternative for mail merge
from a V5R2 platform to an older system at V4R5.  They have 90,000 active
mail merge documents, but then again, they bought into the fact in 1988
that OV/400 was a strategic product for IBM.

Clearly IBM did a billion times better transitioning customers from the 48
bit AS/400 platform to the 64 bit replacement, than HP has done with their
HP3000 customers that have essentially been sentenced to death.  Many of
them are looking at the 400.  I was unaware of the fact that OS/400 native
database (I shutter to call it DB2, because it's so much better than any
other database branded as DB2.) handles ASCII collating sequences just as
well as it does it's native EBCDIC.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                      "Urbanek, Marty"

                      <Marty_Urbanek@xxxxx        To:
"'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      omm.com>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Where is IBM?

                      midrange-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      04/22/2003 08:07 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

The CEO of AMD, Hector Ruiz, is on CNBC right now talking about how
important their new 64-bit Opteron chip is because of the huge amounts of
data in the world that need to be addressed. He said you will be able to
order it today after their press release. Another web article talks about
how to make the transition from 32 to 64-bit. Now where the heck is IBM to
say they know a thing or two about this subject?