On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:32:58AM -0500, jt wrote:
> | As a monopolistic tactic, designed to destroy what M$ saw as
> | competition. This is not opinion; it's documented fact, proven in court
> | (and affirmed by the appeals court).
> Fact and reality sometimes being two different things...;-D  Meaning, when
> the DOJ capitulated (and what judge is REALLY gonna be able to decide such a
> technical issue based on the merits) the monopoly is essentially still in
> place, as far as I know.

I won't argue that one; the DOJ's capitulation is nothing less than
shameful. Even so, the monopoly is now a proven fact, and I hope that the
private antitrust suits wind up doing what the DOJ refused to.

> | I'm no "free software" zealot, but I've sent M$ my last dollar. The last
> | two computers I purchased were Macs.
> How hard was it to adjust to, Jay...?!?  What do You use for spreadsheets
> and WP...???

The adjustment wasn't bad at all. I bought an iMac a year ago to do video
archiving, and discovered in the process that it also makes for a very
usable desktop box. Yes, there's new software to get, but for the most part,
there's a good selection of tools. I use the OpenOffice.org package; there's
a beta for OS X, that works pretty well. If you need absolute Office
compatibility, I understand M$ Office v.X for Mac is quite good.