The SWT classes/wrappers are fantastic when it comes to creating a nice GUI
program.  Download and try Eclipse, to see what SWT can do.   (just a note,
make sure you download eclipse from the mirror site, the main site has been
slow)  I have been using eclipse for about 6 months now, and as a java
editor, it's hard to beat.  But as a showcase for what SWT can offer you,
over the normal swing classes, it will blow you away... (just my opinion).

There is also a plugin, for eclipse that is suppose to offer SWT desiging
around June or so...  But I'm not holding my breath but here is the link...
http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html

But my experience has been this...

I mainly write command line tools, so I use eclipse primarily as a 'best of
show' java editor.  But If I had to write a GUI interface, I would use the
SWT classes, that are included in Eclipse,  if I wanted my screen to pop up
quickly, and to have the same look and feel, as the programs we write with
the microsoft suite.

I know eclipse can do a lot more than what I need, but I just don't have the
time right now, to tinker with all of it.

There is also this link...
http://www.swtworkbench.com/faq.shtml

tim