E Doc wrote:

You are the exception, Buck.  I would say 90-95% of the people I meet in
various AS/400 shops are scared of:

C++
Java
UNIX
Linux
Perl
Python
ILE
Monsters under the bed

-Doc

Doc,

In some ways I agree with you and in others not. Many of those who are in favour of the various combinations of languages/platforms/environments may be developers/tech-heads. Not to say that all of them are that way inclined!

Many of the customers I interact with are concerned about things such as:
Once these technologies are implemented, how easy is it to employ/contract a skill to support it?
Considering the speed of change in technology, will I in 12 to 24 months be able to get a skill that can support the mutation of languages in which the solution was developed?

From a developer's perspective it is great to be able to provide solutions as the customers want it, with the employer providing us the opportunity to employ or prove our skills within the various languages. These employers are getting tired of paying for our toys. They want solutions that provide:
functionality,
simplicity
ease of use
maintainability
allow them to provide all of the above by employing a maximum of two people during the life-cycle of the app (in the case of small shops with in-house developers!)

It can be said these companies often stay behind in terms of the advancement of technology, but that is a relative statement.To use an example (albeit a lousy one!), how many users that you know use the enhanced functionality within EXCEL in Office 2000 over that in Office 95? Does this equate to 10% Probably not. The only thing that faster systems has provided some customers is that they can now mess up at 70CPW instead of at 25 CPW!!!! Until such a time as we start providing them with what they want, when they want it at the cost they want it (which is always for free :-) ), they will be more and more loathe to throw funds our way. The perception within many companies (locally, as I cannot vouch for you guys) is that I.T. is a Cost Centre and not a Profit Centre. Once we can start providing them with solutions and not just solutions with constant upgrades in terms of techonology (h/w and s/w), they may start adopting a more positive attitude towards us!

Hey, I may be wrong> What are the opinions out there?

Jan.