Steve,

I think we are talking about two things here.

1)  Does the logon, and requests get process by the same FTP server job?

2)  Swapping user profiles.

I have no doubt that 2 works fine.

However I am curious as to how 1 would affect exit point programs?  I know
how it will affect mine.

If you have 10 people doing ftp simultaneously...
WRKSBSJOB QSYSWRK
Job
QTFTP00076
QTFTP00080
QTFTP00080
Note, 3 jobs
Then I started 5 ftp sessions, all with different user id's and now have:
QTFTP00076
QTFTP00076
QTFTP00077
QTFTP00080
QTFTP00080
QTFTP00080
QTFTP00093
QTFTP00192
(Yes you can have multiple jobs with the same name.  I have no idea what
the digit signifies.)
wrkobjlck rob *usrprf
QTFTP00080   QTCP
wrkobjlck robb13 *usrprf
QTFTP00080   QTCP
wrkobjlck robb23 *usrprf
QTFTP00076   QTCP
wrkobjlck robb26 *usrprf
QTFTP00192   QTCP
wrkobjlck robb29 *usrprf
QTFTP00076   QTCP

So this is looking great.

I suppose if you had hundreds of users using ftp it would spawn a lot of
sessions.  My concern is that someone would think that this might be a
performance issue and IBM would start threading this.  But you're saying
that they wouldn't dare?  That might be true.  After all, look at all they
would break if they started threading interactive jobs.  And I see a lot
more interactive jobs then I forsee ftp jobs.

Benjamin Franklin

Steve Martinson <Steve.Martinson@xxxxxxxxx>
03/19/2003 09:00 AM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion