Jim, this site gives you all the features of the various DB2 SQL features & compliance:

http://www-919.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/developer/db2/db2common.html

This is for V5R2, but there's a V5R1 link there, too.

At 04:50 PM 3/13/2003 -0600, you wrote:

It's been my understanding that the database as we know it smeared from
sorted flat files on the System 3 to ISAM with internal fixed columns on the
System 38.  Then came a primitive, proprietary query "language" with
OPNQRYF.  Since then there have been half-hearted attempts and major
initiatives toward a layer of SQL compliance.  Unfortunately, some of the
major initiatives were in marketing.  The DB/2 name, I personally think,
reeked of the same kind of half-*ssed brand convergence that IBM would later
try with the eServer line.

Underlying engine for all query approaches (Query/400, SQL, and OPNQRYF) is the same thing. It was written, to some degree, with embedded SQL in mind. This turns out to have been the wrong choice, considering the rest of the industry and, esp., Web-based ad hoc queries.

A few weeks ago I was setting up some stuff on our old Lawson AS/400
database and our new Lawson Oracle database and was surprised to find that I
could set up a view based on a UNION in Oracle, but not on the AS/400.  I'm
sure you can do this in DB/2 on a mainframe or AIX server.  I suspect there
are more blatant examples, but this is the type of stuff I'm looking for.
I've always wondered how far behind IBM has been even on basic SQL
compliance.

See above link for where IBM is now. UNIONs in VIEWs is in V5R2.

-snip-

Regards

Vern