Phil/Jon,

>> User defined data stream is probably the only
>> way to go ... but it is outside my expertise.

I prefer DSM to UDDS, as DSM takes away some of the complexity.  You still need
to understand the 5250 data stream, but using DSM in lieu of UDDS lets you use
the DSM wrappers over numerous things to help build up the stream for you.  With
UDDS, you're responsible for every bit (pun intended) of the data stream.

>It's not *that* difficult ...  Also, a lot of the 5250 emulators allow you to
>'capture' the raw stream before it's rendered.

Even better, Gene Gaunt published a wonderful utility in News3X some years ago
called TRC5250.  It captures the 5250 data stream and produces a nicely
formatted analysis of it down to the bits of components like Field Control
Words, Field Format Words, etc.

VERY slick utility.  Wish is was around when I was teaching myself 5250 data
streams.  But then that was back on the S/34...

Jon:  Get a copy of Gene's TRC5250 and look at DSM instead of UDDS.  It is
actually *easier* to learn than getting UDDS right.

Doug