Leif,

>To get back to the original poster's problem: "will enforcing a minimum
>length of 8 be effective"?, the answer is no.

I guess that what I was trying to say, but not so succintly.

(I always use that program as one benchmark of speed increases when I upgrade my
PC.  The program is amazingly fast.  My PC isn't even that powerful by new
standards -- it is a 1.6GHz --, and it still tests 16.4 *million* keys per
*second*.  That means it can test every possible 4 character password in 1/8
second.  With an 8 character password, that slows down to potentially taking up
to 2 hours and 5 minutes to crack on my PC.  If that is too long just use
multiple PCs and segment the search space -- the program supports that -- and
use faster PCs.  Thus you can get the crack time down to whatever you need to,
if you have access to multiple PCs.  And who doesn't?)

Doug