Paul,

Without looking at the details I would say that you are probably correct.
The extra money that you are paying is for unlimited interactive (or is it
5250 these days) and for the other software products (QuickPlace, SameTime,
Websphere, etc. etc. etc.).

I have the same kind of shock but due to my circumstances they are
minimized.  My original 820 upgrade was a move from P30 to P40.  Now with
the 825 I can stay in the P30 tier.  So...............I'm spending 50% more
on software and about 90% less on software........I think I net to a
possible savings.........

My guess is you aren't alone..............

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

Slow email use this:
mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

Fast email that isn't company standard use this:
mailto:mcrump@sgcontainers.com

                      TechSupport@bassp

                      ro.com                   To:
midrange-l@midrange.com
                                               cc:

                      01/31/03 01:38 PM        bcc:

                      Please respond to        Subject:  New Hardware
Announcement
                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical

                      Discussion

                                                                     I''m
wondering
                                                                     if
we're the
                                                                     only
customer

experiencing
                                                                     this
"sticker
                                                                     shock"
problem.
                                                                     One of
our

machines is an
                                                                     820
with CPW of

1100/35. We do
                                                                     most
of our

mailing list

processing on it
                                                                     and
there are
                                                                     only
two IS
                                                                     people
who use
                                                                     it for

interactive
                                                                     work,
the rest
                                                                     is
batch. Since
                                                                     it is
in serious
                                                                     need
of an

upgrade I got

pricing for what
deemed a

logical upgrade
                                                                     path.
The

result, were I
take it to my
                                                                     boss,
would
                                                                     result
in me
                                                                     being
thrown out
                                                                     of his
office.

Originally I got
price of $146K
                                                                     for an
upgrade
                                                                     to an
820 with
                                                                     CPW of
2350/35.
                                                                     The
price for
                                                                     the
equivalent
                                                                     810
with CPW of

2700/2700 is
                                                                     $239K.
                                                                     Please
tell me
                                                                     there
is an
                                                                     error
somewhere
                                                                     and
I'm not
                                                                     being
charged
                                                                     $93K
for an
                                                                     extra
350 CPW!
                                                                     In
addition,
                                                                     there
is no

upgrade path for
                                                                     the
810. I don't
                                                                     see
the goodness
                                                                     that
is being
                                                                     spread
around
                                                                     for
this

announcement.

(Embedded image
                                                                     moved
to file:

pic26615.gif)

Paul Fenstermacher AS/400 Certified System Administrator
Bass Pro Shops
417-873-5424
paulf@basspro.com(See attached file: ATT129943.txt)