Dan -

A transfer message in the range of 100000 bytes and higher will use the
first position.

Here is what I use for a multiple file transfer:

/* Override the files for the FTP.
        OVRDBF     FILE(INPUT) TOFILE(FTPPARMS) MBR(*FIRST)
      OVRDBF     FILE(OUTPUT) TOFILE(FTPOUT) MBR(&PGM)

/* Run the FTP command.
      FTP        RMTSYS(&SYSTEM)

/* Delete the Override.
      DLTOVR     FILE(INPUT OUTPUT)

/* Ignore Level Checking for the subsequent Receive File command.
      OVRDBF     FILE(FTPOUT) TOFILE(FTPOUT) MBR(&PGM) +
                 LVLCHK(*NO)

/* Read each record in the FTP Output file for Errors or Success.
        LOOP:       RCVF

/* End of file detected without a Success or Failure message.
      MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0864) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL(FTPERROR))

/* Check for a Failure.
      IF         COND((%SST(&FTPOUT 1 1) *EQ '4') *OR +
                 (%SST(&FTPOUT 1 1) *EQ '5')) THEN(GOTO +
                 CMDLBL(FTPERROR))

/* Check for a Success.
      IF         COND(%SST(&FTPOUT 1 3) *EQ '250') THEN(GOTO +
                 CMDLBL(CONT))

      GOTO       CMDLBL(LOOP)

/* Get the FTP Transfer message when a successful FTP.
        CONT:       RCVF

/* Send the FTP Transfer message to the Requestor.
      SNDMSG     MSG(&FTPOUT) TOUSR(*REQUESTER)

/* This procedure should transfer THREE or FOUR files.
      CHGVAR     VAR(&COUNTER) VALUE(&COUNTER + 1)
      IF         COND(&COUNTER *LT &NOFILES) THEN(GOTO +
                 CMDLBL(LOOP))

      CHGVAR     VAR(&CHARNO) VALUE(&NOFILES)
      SNDPGMMSG  MSG('Transferred' *BCAT &CHARNO *BCAT +
                 'Files....')

By checking for a successful message, usually 226 or 250 you can send the
"123 bytes transferred" message to the display or a log file and avoid
reading it as an error.  The actual message code and verbage vary somewhat
between different servers, so your mileage may vary....

Regards,
Scott Ingvaldson
AS/400 System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group