> From: Evan Harris
>
> just rent one when doing your upgrade. Of course, the rent you
> pay _might_
> end up costing as much as buying one now so it's worth doing the numbers.

Yeah, it's a matter of doing the math.

> For what it's worth, if you understand your applications and
> infrastructure
> well enough you ought to be able to migrate to another box, at
> least in my
> opinion.

I think so, too, Evan.  I have to believe the second machine has all the
media to get the IBM software correctly configured.  I use a brick for
console, so that's no problem.  Once the machine is up and breathing, the
rest is pretty straightforward:

1. Configure TCP/IP
2. Move all my production libraries over
   (Management Central actually does this really well)
3. Fix my system library list
4. Make sure any command default changes are re-applied
5. Make sure any SYSVAL changes are re-applied
6. Update my IPL program
7. Re-apply my exit programs

That should get me back to where I was.

Then I have to reconfigure WebSphere.  That's probably the biggest pain.
Especially since I need to have WASV35SE and WAS5Express on the same box.

Joe